Good morning everyone! I was nominated by Natasha Durant for the Sunshine Blogger Award and that is what we’ll be doing today. I’ll be answering questions from Natasha and then I’ll be passing the award on to other bloggers with a new set of questions.
let’s show some love for Natasha. Natasha blogs at Simply Durant writing about motherhood and lifestyle. She’s been blogging since 2011 and has a huge archive of good content, so I highly recommend that you check her blog out.
What is the Sunshine Blogger Award?
The Sunshine Blogger Award is given to bloggers by other bloggers who are creative, inspiring, and radiate positivity.
(thank you, I try my best but positivity is a hit and miss)
The Rules are:
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and link their blog so others can find them.
- Answer the 11 questions which the blogger who nominated you asked.
- Nominate 11 bloggers and ask them 11 different questions.
- List the rules and display the Sunshine blogger award logo in your post and/or on your blog site.
Questions from Natasha
What is the meaning behind your blog name? How did you choose it? Why did you pick it?
My blog name used to be Keep Calm & Beautify. It was during the time when “keep calm” was still trendy. I thought it was apt for me because I was already going through some mental issues then – anxiety is one of them. Back then, discovering and playing with makeup served as a good distraction for me. It was fun.
Just recently I’ve changed my blog name to xoxo Dawn because I feel as if the old title is limiting to what I wanted to write. I want to write more lifestyle and graphic design tutorial posts. 😁
What is your favorite post that you have shared on your blog and why?
I enjoyed working on my favicon post. It’s a tutorial of how to add one to the blog. It’s not really my favorite but it’s the first tutorial blog post I made after I decided to do more graphics tutorials. I felt free having made that.
How long have you been blogging, and what made you start blogging?
This blog was created in 2013 but I have been blogging longer than that, I think circa 2005. I said goodbye to my blog in Multiply when the site closed and have opened blogs in Blogger (I’m still here). I have 2 other blogs in Blogger that are still up, and a few that I’ve already deleted. I don’t know why I like making new blogs.
What made me start? Hmm, I think it’s because I kept a diary as a kid, then as a teen. I just really love to write in journals.
If you could go anywhere on vacation, where would you go?
Japan or Scotland. Japan because I love anime, j-dorama, and j-pop. Scotland because I love the history and culture.
Who are your top three favorite bloggers and what do you like about them? What keeps you going back to their blogs?
- Shane | Queen of All You See – I think we started out just about the same time but she has never stopped blogging and now her blog is so amazing! She’s become someone I would categorized as a successful blogger. Her aesthetics appeal to me and she does crafts too.
- Myra | Myra’s Beauty Diary – Same with Shane, Myra is a blogger friend I’ve known since I started blogging. She has grown so much since, she’s bought a domain for her blog, take stunning photos, and recently she’s been featured on Althea (it’s a popular Korean makeup store/brand here in Asia). I enjoy reading her blog, like catching up with an old friend.
- Helen | Love Cats Inc – Helen is someone I used to compare myself to. haha. I could never be a fashion blogger, but the way she writes posts and promotes them, I try to learn from them. Her blog is one that I study to try to improve mine.
Do you take your own blog photos or do you hire someone to do them for you?
I used to take them when I was still beauty blogging. But now that I don’t wear makeup as much, as well as time constraints, I use free stock photos for my blog images.
What is your favorite social media platform for your blog and why do you use it?
Pinterest. Because it’s so much easier than Twitter and Instagram. You just pin an image with a link to your blog and that is practically evergreen. Compared to Twitter where you have to keep promoting your links. Instagram is worse because you don’t get to link at all. That’s why I started Instagram late.
Even if we’re not talking about blogs, I’d still choose Pinterest to while my time away. It’s like my black hole. And it’s so easy to find what you’re searching for.
If you could work with any brand, which companies would you work with?
I haven’t really thought about that. I haven’t put a focus on reaching out to brands as I’m steering towards wanting to work with bloggers more. That being said, I’d love to work with Happy Skin because they have such an amazing array of products and they’re a homegrown brand, but it’s a slim chance. Maybe BeautyMNL again.
What is your favorite musical artist? And what song do you play on repeat the most?
J-pop group Arashi. They’re my happy pill. The light in the darkness. They never fail to make me smile even on the worst days.
It’s difficult to choose one song yo! But I’ll just go for We Can Make It because I sometimes just sing that out of the blue. And dance to it too, of course.
We all have a go-to lip color. What shade of lipstick is your favorite?
Mauve, because it’s closest to my natural lip color. I won’t have to worry if it matches my skintone or washed me out. And I also don’t have to worry if I applied it perfectly because it blends well with my lip.
What is your goal for the year to accomplish on your blog?
Well, I want to gain a decent amount of followers and traffic (this was something I didn’t work on before). I also want to start earning from my blog again (because I took a long hiatus), enough for me to be able to buy a domain and/or get self-hosted. I also am planning on setting up a shop on my blog selling graphics for blogs (headers, icons, etc) and hopefully I start earning from it by the end of the year. It’s scary that time is flying by so fast.
The Nominees | Twitter Handles
- Myra | @myrabeautydiary
- Glaiza | @glaizabinayas
- Briana | @BlogBriana
- Nicay | @imanerdyqueen
- Paper Pages | @paperpagesph
- Becca | @BeccaBlogsItOut
- ImMissMountain | @immissmountain1
- Maggie | @maggiethemuser
- TopseyLife | @LifeTopsey
- Natonya | @JustNatonya
- The Ordinary Blogger | @BloggerOrdinary
My 11 Questions for the Nominees
- The Sunshine Blogger Award is awarded to bloggers who are creative, inspiring, and radiate positivity. Of the three, which one do you most resonate with?
- If you could have any animal as pet, what would you choose and why?
- What’s your number one tip for taking pictures for the blog?
- Where do you often read blogs? Phone, tablet, or computer?
- What is your day job? And how do you find time to blog?
- Do you play games on your phone? What’s your fave?
- If you could work with any brand, which companies would you work with?
- On your birthday, what’s for breakfast?
- What is your goal for the year to accomplish on your blog?
- A book that you love but you’re embarrassed to tell?
- Favorite drink to order?