Hey! Can you believe it’s only a week and a few days til Christmas? Oh my! I don’t think I’m ready for it yet (where’s my online order?). How about you, how’s Christmas preparations coming along?
Anyway, for today’s post we are creating a simple holiday card using only two colors (because I actually like my Christmas colors that way), so stick around and join me — better if you’d open Canva and design with me — as we make a holiday card we can send to our loved ones this Christmas!
Techniques we’ll learn in this tutorial
- adding a gradient background
- using Transparency to decrease the vibrancy of the background
- changing the amount of space between lines
- copying elements for faster execution
Ready? Let’s get started.
1. Open Canva.
2. Search and choose card.
3. Go to Elements.
4. Search for gradient.
5. Find a blue and white gradient. Click to choose.
6. Resize the gradient that appears on your canvas by dragging the side handles. Make sure to fill the entire space.
7. Let’s lighten the color of the gradient. Click Transparency icon found on the top right of the screen. Drag the slider until the color is just right.
8. Let’s add some text. Click the Text icon.
9. Click Add a heading. Type your text.
10. Change the font style. I chose Berkshire Swash.
11. Change the font size.
12. Change the font color to white.
13. Have you noticed that the two lines of text are spaced too far apart? Let’s fix that. Click Spacing and drag the slider to the left until you’re happy with the space between the lines.
14. Now let’s add some decorations! Go to Elements and search for snow. Scroll through the results for different snow flakes you can use.
15. Change their colors to white or as anything close to white.
16. Resize them and make them smaller.
17. Click Position and send all snow flakes behind the text.
18. Copy the three (or any number you want) snowflakes several times.
19. Resize all the snowflakes, make some very big while some very small, and keep some medium sized.
20. Arrange them around your text.
And there you have it! A very simple holiday card. Don’t forget to download!
And if you’re thinking of sending a real card to your loved ones, why not print this directly from Canva? Canva is offering a 10% discount off Canva Prints. Use the coupon code below.